Also, its null 1234567

Money matters

Investment Declaration and Form 12BB – Lifelines of salaried employees

The first quarter of a financial year is the time for ‘Investment Declaration’. In the period of April to June, your employer asks you to declare your tax-saving investments for the year to be able to deduct tax accordingly from your monthly salary. Investment declaration at the right time is important for you because it can lead to higher in-hand salary.

The important thing to note is that, in the beginning of the financial year, you just have to make an estimate of the investments that you intend to make in the coming months. These declarations are generally required to be made on the employer’s HR portal. You don’t need to submit actual proofs till the end of the financial year. You can actually invest less or more.

Investment Declaration is made on Form 12BB that has to be submitted at the end of the financial year. Please note that this form is NOT to be submitted to Income Tax Department, but has to be submitted to your employer.

It applies to all salaried taxpayers and has to be made for the following tax-saving investments and expenses:


1. House Rent Allowance (HRA)

In the first part of Form 12BB, you can fill the details required to claim tax deduction on HRA. To claim HRA, you need to provide details such as:

  1. Name and address of landlord and actual rent paid.

  2. If the rent paid during the year exceeds Rs. 1 lakh, you also need to provide PAN of landlord.

  3. Rent receipts. (Are you not getting rent receipts? You can help your landlord by telling him about the amazing Rent Receipt Generator which you can find here)

  4. In case, if you are paying the rent by cash, you have to affix revenue stamp on the receipts.

If don’t know your HRA, you can use this simple HRA Calculator.

2. Leave Travel Concessions or Allowance (LTC/LTA)

Leave travel concession or leave travel allowance is paid to a salaried employee as per salary package and is applicable for domestic travel only.

Salaried employees also need to submit travel related expenditure proofs to their employers if they want to claim tax deduction on LTA/LTC.

The total expenditure being claimed as well the number of documents being submitted should be mentioned in Form 12BB.

3. Interest on Home Loan

To claim tax deduction on interest paid for home loan, you need to provide details like interest paid /payable, lender’s name, lender’s PAN in Form 12BB.

Stamp duty, registration fees and brokerage expenses paid towards transfer of the property can be claimed as deduction.

4. Deductions under Section 80C, 80CCC, 80CCD and 80D

Here is a quick list of deductions available under Section 80 that you can declare in Form 12BB.

  • 80C: Premium to be paid for life insurance and/or investments to be made in ELSS funds, PPF, NPS and/or school tuition fees for children, etc

  • 80CCC: Premium to be paid for annuity plan

  • 80CCD: Additional contributions made to NPS

  • 80D: Premium to be paid for medical insurance

  • 80E: Interest to be paid on education loan

  • 80G: Donations to be made to specified organizations

  • 80TTA: Interest income earned from savings bank account

We advise you not to just refer to the list above. For a better understanding on how to save tax, simply download YES BANK’s simplified Tax Guide created in collaboration with Cleartax, the largest tax filing website.


Not declared your investments on time?

If you have not declared your investments earlier and your employer has deducted excess TDS, then you can claim refund of excess TDS deducted by filing your income tax return.

Hope you found this article useful. To know more on Tax solutions, visit YES Tax Solutions.

*The full version of this article by our knowledge partner Cleartax can be accessed at

download app
Android App for YES BANK
App Store for YES BANK
yes pay wallet

Digital Wallet with free Virtual card and UPI which can be used to send/receive money, mobile/DTH recharge, pay bills and much more

Read More